WHEN LAKEVIEW HALL was razed in the early ’70s, it was the last remaining structure of a cluster of barrack-style buildings, including Quonset huts, which were built to house students in programs like the Navy V-12 College Training Program. After the war, the buildings were converted to student and married-student housing to serve the huge influx of returning GIs. Although the Quonset huts were dismantled relatively soon after the end of the war, many of the structures served the campus until the completion of the Bowen and Shirk residence halls in 1958. The last of the students left Lakeview Hall in the late ’60s.
Today, the area is occupied by Axe Library, the Centennial Bell Tower and a parking lot. On-campus housing is in the midst of a major improvement program that includes the addition of new suite-style housing (Crimson Commons) that opened in 2010 and renovation of all of the other existing residence halls.