The major transformation of on-campus housing continued at a rapid pace in 2010 with the completion of a complex featuring new style of housing for students and the renovation of another of PSU’s existing residence halls.
Officials snipped yards of crimson ribbon in October to officially open Crimson Commons, a 200-bed, $10-million apartment-style housing complex on Joplin Street. It was the first new student housing constructed on campus since 1966.
The Crimson Commons dedication occurred just weeks after the university celebrated a $1.2 million renovation of Trout Hall, which was opened in 1955. Trout Hall houses 115 students and is the second of the university’s existing residence halls to be renovated as part of a six-year program to upgrade all of the university’s existing housing.
In the fall of 2010, a record 1,253 students lived in university residence halls.